At the Health and Vitality Center, Dr. Shiva Lalezar often utilizes micronutrient testing (analysis by SpectraCell Laboratories) to uncover hidden vitamin and mineral deficiencies. As a prominent Los Angeles holistic doctor, Dr. Lalezar considers micronutrient testing to be one of our more important diagnostic tests.
Are nutrient deficiencies really a problem today?
Yes. Although we don’t commonly see very many cases of classic diseases caused by vitamin deficiency, e.g. scurvy (Vitamin C deficiency), rickets (vitamin D deficiency), pellagra (niacin deficiency), beriberi (Vitamin B1 deficiency), in modern-day clinical practice, we now know that more subtle deficiencies – called suboptimal levels – of certain nutrients are associated with a wide variety of medical conditions.
Examples of Diseases Correlated with Specific Nutrient Deficiencies:
In recent years, research has revealed strong correlations between nutrient deficiencies and certain diseases. This is not simply a vague theory confined to natural medicine, or a nutritional fad; these associations are evidence-based, backed up by a plethora of clinical studies. Here are just some examples:
- Vitamin D deficiency: osteoporosis, metabolic syndrome/obesity, heart disease (atherosclerosis), high blood pressure, chronic fatigue syndrome/fibromyalgia, autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus, as well as certain cancers
- Glutathione deficiency: Parkinson’s disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, asthma, heart disease (atherosclerosis), hepatitis and other liver diseases
- Vitamin B-12 deficiency: anemia, heart disease and stroke (via elevated homocysteine levels)
- Vitamin C deficiency: skin problems (because of lowered collagen production), impaired wound healing, glutathione deficiency (Vitamin C is required for glutathione biosynthesis), depression and mood swings (because Vitamin C is a precursor for the synthesis of many neurotransmitters)
Why is micronutrient testing by SpectraCell the most advanced micronutrient diagnostic test available?
Conventional methods simply take a blood sample and measure the serum concentration of a particular vitamin or mineral. Static serum levels cannot accurately assess cell metabolism and utilization. At the Health & Vitality Center, we use SpectraCell micronutrient testing because it measures how micronutrients are actually functioning within your white blood cells. A diagnostic test that uses functional parameters – no wonder we find it invaluable in our practice of functional medicine!
If this diagnostic test reveals nutrient deficiencies, we may recommend the following treatments:
- Intravenous Vitamin Therapy
- Nutritional Supplements